Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution is connected with depositing and/or sharing given content on a web server handled by a hosting provider. There are various kinds of hosting services utilized for different purposes, so let's have a peek at them. Thus, you can choose what you need, depending on whether you wish to set up a website, mail addresses, or to share files with friends and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution offered by given hosts, which permits you to share huge files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a record of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage services are often supported by displaying advertisements by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a given interval of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you own a paid file storage account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a totally false explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would share the tasks at hand between different bunches of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various webspace hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is just a kind of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; given suppliers provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting brand is good if you wish to share a big number of images with comrades or colleagues since the solution is mostly free. You will obtain a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for sites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to administering your mail addresses. Some vendors offer site hosting services for sites, but do not supply an email hosting solution. If you wish to manage a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a website, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can set up email box accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video produces a given amount of CPU load, so with a handful of videos and a few hundred web page viewers, you may have a problem with your hosting supplies. Embedding the video clip will enable you to use as many videos as you want without bothering about system resources.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you would like to own a website. To a certain extent, it contains all of the aforementioned hosting varieties since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and e-mail accounts, upload videos, and so on. At EmmanuelHost, for example, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated web hosting accounts that allow you to get all of the aforesaid services in one single location. There may be limits based on the type of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting account may be better or worse compared to the conventional email/file/video/image hosting plans that are devised for specific web content only.